Our clubhouse was constructed during 2001/2 following a successful application to the the Sport England Lottery Fund. The club’s application was fully supported by a number of organisations. Notably United Utilities who own the reservoir, Sport England North West and the RYA who sponsored the application, Burnley Borough Council and numerous local organisations, to which the club offers its grateful thanks.
It was designed by the Pozzoni Design Group Architectural Practice and constructed by B&D Croft Ltd during a 6 month period. It provides an innovative external appearance incorporating a nautical theme within a completely modern layout. The distinctive curved profile of the roof is designed to present the minimum obstruction to wind flows from this dominant wind direction.
The clubhouse design brief was driven by both the club’s requirements and the aspirations of the Sport England Lottery Committee
The club’s requirements included:
- A furnished lounge incorporating a galley service catering food and drinks to members and the general public.
- Male and Female changing rooms, toilets and heated showers.
- Space for an integrated shop and sailing school.
- Space for the Countryside Ranger and the public access toilets managed by them.
- Storage for the club’s safety boat.
- A comfortable veranda overlooking the landscaped rigging areas and the reservoir.
The Sport England requirements added:
- Facilities for people with disabilities, including a purpose designed changing and showering facility.
- General access arrangements providing facilities for wheelchair access.